Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Review: Snow Like Ashes

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17399160-snow-like-ashes
Click the cover for blurb

I gave this one a 3 star rating (although I liked it enough to consider 4 stars). I really liked it, but felt like something was a wee bit off. The characters were pretty cool. I didn't "meet" anyone that was just blah. Sara Raasch can definitely write good solid characters. So that's not the "off" part. 
I think my biggest complaint about this one was that it was too familiar. I've read this plot before, or at least a plot very very similar to it. Girl grows up wanting to be something more, growing up with a guy who's obviously going to be a love interest, must overcome obstacles...yeah pretty standard fare.  Oh and the super secret plot twist was all but super secret if you were paying attention.

Snow Like Ashes is not a bad book. It's not one that I would shoo people away from. It's a book that's very well written with characters that are interesting and developed; however, it is a book that I think missed the mark on shaking up the genre. I will read the next book in the series, and hope that things pick up and I can get totally 100 % behind this series, because I do think it has potential. The writer just needs to add a bit more "fresh" elements to the mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!