Saturday, July 4, 2015

Double Review: Obsidian and Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout



 So this series has been on my radar for a bit now. I never really got too motivated to read them though, and I admit it was because of the covers. The dude on the cover has some seriously creepy rape eyes, and that kind of wonder if everyone was smoking crack or was just going through some Damon Salvatore withdrawals or something.

However...

Dear sweet Jesus, this series is so addictive! I saw that my local library had these available and figured, WHY NOT? It won't cost me anything and if it sucked I'd have something to make fun of. I started reading and kind of forgot where I was for a bit. I did think that Daemon (come on now..you're not making this easy are you Jennifer?!) came across as a lurky, cranky bastard at first, but eventually grew on me. 

Katy was quite a refreshing character. I was afraid she'd be all Bella and I'd have to dislike her, but she is a pretty unique character. She's feisty and smart and a bookworm (okay I felt like that was a bit fan service-y, but I still liked it!) and she's just...normal. 

The auxiliary characters are all pretty fun, and I definitely love Dee. I hope we get more bitchiness from Ash in future books (right now I've only just finished Onyx..so don't spoilerize me!) 

The plot was pretty riveting. I read the first one in almost a day (I had to work! Dangit!) and that is saying a lot, since as I age I'm reading slower. Onyx took a wee bit longer as my Nook didn't like the Overdrive app (I borrowed it from the library as an ebook) and the font was funky, no matter what I did. I still read that sucker though! 

Now, I will read the rest of the series and probably do quickie reviews like this. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!