Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review: The First Days



"The morning that the world ends, Katie is getting ready for court and housewife Jenni is taking care of her family. Less than two hours later, they are fleeing for their lives from a zombie horde.


Thrown together by circumstance, Jenni and Katie become a powerful zombie-killing partnership, mowing down zombies as they rescue Jenni’s stepson, Jason, from an infected campground.


They find sanctuary in a tiny, roughly fortified Texas town. There Jenni and Katie find they are both attracted to Travis, leader of the survivors; and the refugees must slaughter people they know, who have returned in zombie form.


Fast-paced and exciting, filled with characters who grab your heart, The First Days: As the World Dies is the beginning of a frightening trilogy. "

My Review: 
This book, you guys! Omg! If you have visited my blog before, then you know I LURVE me some zombies. In fact, as I type this out I am wearing my I <3 Zombies shirt, right now. I cannot get enough of those reanimated corpses! The end. I also cannot express my love for kick ass heroines either! I love it when the CHICKS are the bad-asses! I really do, it gives me the bouts of the squees. So needless to say when I read the summary of these books I was very excited. Female protagonists? check! Zombies? check! Excellent writing? check check and oh yeah..check! 


Katie and Jenni are awesome! They both have their issues and probably wouldn't have met up before the zombies came around. They come from different worlds. Katie is a lawyer and a lesbian  with a beautiful wife and a pretty darn near picture perfect existence. Jenni is a battered wife and mother. She's timid and scared and with good reason. Her husband is a dick that beats her and her stepson. They meet up after the world dies. Katie comes to Jenni's rescue and thus begins our friends adventures.

The characters are all pretty awesome! The male characters are just a little bit underdeveloped in comparison to the females, but they still feel real. I know my favorite guy is supposed to be Travis. He's sweet and a good guy, but I find myself wanting to read more about Juan. I love Jenni and Juan's interactions. Their playful bickering reminds me of my relationship with my husband!

All in all this story is one of the most realistic tales of people living through the zombie apocalypse that I have read in a long time. I could not put it down from start to finish! I am hungrily devouring the sequel! Stay tuned for that review! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!