Thursday, April 5, 2012

Quick Review: Starters




About:
In the future, teens rent their bodies to seniors who want to be young again. One girl discovers her renter plans to do more than party--her body will commit murder, if her mind can't stop it. Sixteen-year-old Callie lost her parents when the genocide spore wiped out everyone except those who were vaccinated first--the very young and very old. With no grandparents to claim Callie and her little brother, they go on the run, living as squatters, and fighting off unclaimed renegades who would kill for a cookie. Hope comes via Prime Destinations, run by a mysterious figure known only as The Old Man. He hires teens to rent their bodies to seniors, known as enders, who get to be young again. Callie's neurochip malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her rich renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, even dating Blake, the grandson of a senator. It's a fairy-tale new life . . . until she uncovers the Body Bank's horrible plan. . . .

My Review: 

Okay so the first part of this book didn't really do much for me. I thought it started out a bit like every dystopian novel and felt a little familiar. After a while though, I discovered myself entranced. I am so glad I didn't give up on this one! Callie is a really strong character. I think she's noble and smart. She is doing what she can to survive and take care of her brother, and would do nearly anything. I thought that made her very interesting.

I thought maybe there should have been a little bit more of a back story about the war and the events directly after it. I know that would have made the book a lot longer, but I feel like there would have been more of a hook from the beginning. I do think there will be a sequel, so maybe next installment? I hope so. I really do want to find out more about this world. How did the people wind up in this situation?

The book was not a  disappointment. I really did enjoy it. The characters are well written and the plot (after the first few chapters) does start to roll and kept me reading like a mad woman! Starters is a good read and a great novel. So all in all I would recommend it! I can't wait to read more from Lissa Price.



  • Reading level: Ages 12 and up
  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (March 13, 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0385742371

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this book! It sounds great, love your blog. I'm a new follower.

    Follow mine? www.tumblingbooks.com

    Thanks,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!