Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lord of the Rings Read a Long Pt. 1

This month's read is The Hobbit and it's hosted by A Striped Armchair. Here are some questions to get the party started!


When did you first hear of The Hobbit? I do believe it was in high school. A friend of mine was really into Fantasy and mentioned Tolkien. He suggested I read them all. Did I listen? Nooooo. Stupid me!
What made you decide to join the read-a-long? I have all of the books on my shelf and I have always wanted to read them. I just kept putting it off. I saw the challenge and decided that it was the right time!
Have you read it before? If so tell us about that experience. Nope, I'm a newb to the world of Hobbits!
If you’re new to The Hobbit, do you have any preconceptions going into it? Not really. I always wanted to read the series so I'm just pretty excited!
J.R.R. Tolkien pretty much founded the modern fantasy genre. So let’s take a moment to think about the genre as a whole; have you always loved fantasy? Or perhaps you still feel rather skeptical towards the whole idea of wizards and dwarfs and magic? What was your introduction to the genre? I can't remember the first fantasy novel I read but I would say it was when I was maybe 10 or 12. I have always liked the genre.
Do you have a certain plan for reading it? A few pages a day, spacing it out over the month? Or are you just going to race through it? Let whimsy decide? I started on Jan. 1st and devoured it! I'm done! I can't wait to read the next one! :)

4 comments:

  1. I finished already too! I can't put this one down once I start. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're the first paricipant I've visite who's a newbie! That's awesome that you devoured it-I can't wait to see your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that the only Tolkien book I own is The Hobbit, and I stole that from my brother. I'll have to get the rest from the library!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!